The mission of the Beaverton Police Department Training Division is to provide department members with the highest quality, relevant training, conducted in a safe, professional environment in accordance with state certification mandates, department goals and best practices.
The Beaverton Police Department's primary responsibility is to provide mandatory and supplemental training to department personnel. The Training Division also maintains officers' training records and certifications, assists in the departments hiring process, and facilitates the field training evaluation program for new recruits.
The Training Division prides itself on having fully trained "in-house" instructors who are responsible for teaching a variety of courses. The Training Division has targeted specific courses to be taught annually by both department instructors and through outside training partnerships, including:
- Department Policies/ Case Law Updates
- Communication Skills
- Victim Advocacy
- Citizens in Mental Crisis
- Force Options/ Decision Making
- Confrontation Simulations
- Suspect Control Techniques
- Firearms/ Less Lethal Tools
- Emergency Vehicle Operation
- Impaired Driving
- Specific Criminal Investigation Techniques
- Child/Elder Abuse
- Domestic Abuse
- Theft Investigations
- Fraud Investigations
- First Aid/ CPR
- Specialized Investigations
- Supervision Skills / Leadership
- Interview / Court Testimony
- Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement
For further information on becoming a full-time or reserve Beaverton police officer, including hiring and training qualifications, visit our Officer Qualifications Page.