The City of Beaverton Web portal meets federal government standards for making Web content and applications usable for persons with disabilities and fulfills the mandate of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1998.
The standards are found on the Section 508 Web site.
The City of Beaverton has developed Accessibility standards for the Web portal. Following are the key requirements of the City of Beaverton portal accessibility initiative:
- Providing text for all graphic elements.
- Streaming video files have transcripts or a presentation version available (if transcript or a presentation version is available).
- Web pages will be designed so that all information conveyed with color is also available without color.
- Online electronic forms will allow people using assisting technology to access the information, field elements, and functions required to complete and submit the forms.
- All pages are designed and tested for compatibility with all major Web browsers.
Assistance Tools for the Blind or Visually Impaired
Adobe, creator of Acrobat and Acrobat Reader, has developed tools to assist blind and visually-impaired users to “read” PDF files. The Adobe Accessibility area on Adobe’s Web site has additional information.
Some applications and information posted on the City of Beaverton portal require the download and install of additional software, plug-ins and players. These applications are available for free download. Examples include:
- Windows Media Player
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
Additional Accessibility Resources
For further information and to learn more about the regulations governing the accessibility of Federal electronic information products, visit these ADA- and Section 508-related resources:
- Section 508 home page - www.section508.gov/
- Access Board - www.access-board.gov/508.htm
- Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) - www.w3.org/WAI/
- Section 508 - Test for Accessibility
If you have difficulty accessing any material on this site because of a disability, please contact us in writing, via telephone or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to make the information available.